You may notice that sometimes your root folders (folders inside your
Dropbox/Apps/websrvr/) get renamed. For instance, if your folder is named
Sterling Archer, it will be renamed to
sterlingarcher. We do this because
your folder’s name is used as a subdomain for hosting your website.
We do the following to ‘fix’ folder names:
- Remove any character which is not in a-z or 0-9. e.g. ‘lana kane (cyril)’ will be renamed to ‘lanakanecyril’.
- Lowercase the name. e.g. ‘DipperPines’ will be renamed to ‘dipperpines’.
- Pad a ‘w’ if your folder name starts with a number. e.g. ‘3 Gravity Falls’ will
be renamed to ‘w3gravityfalls’.
- Pad w’s if your folder name is less than 4 characters long. e.g. ‘ob’ will
be renamed to ‘wwob’.
- Pad with a random string if your folder name is reserved. e.g. ‘www’
will be renamed to ‘wwwsomerandomstring’
- Pad with a random string if your folder name is already taken. e.g.
‘minhajuddin’ will be renamed to ‘minhajuddinrandomstring’ because
‘minhajuddin’ is already taken. (check it out at
Whew, so if your folder is renamed, it must be because of one of the above
reasons. If it has been renamed incorrectly, please let us know by sending an
email to firstname.lastname@example.org